Hi, I’m Jen. I’m a professional illustrator and comic artist, and my career really took off when I started tabling at conventions in 2016. When I was invited to Flame Con as a guest this year, I began to think about ways that I could give back to help other artists succeed, and I decided that this community driven show was the perfect convention to launch a mentorship program. I’d like to share the knowledge and experience that I’ve gained over the past few years with newcomers—my hope is that it will help foster a culture of sharing information and that the artists I work with will pass on what they learn to others.
Here’s how it’ll work. I’ve brought on Andrea Demonakos—who has not only proven to be a strong advocate for marginalized creators, but who also has 11 years of experience working in artist alley and as an exhibitor, as well as running two comic conventions—to help me review all the applications I receive. Together, we will select 2 artists who have been accepted for half tables through the lottery process and I will cover the costs of the full table for them to share, along with all of the costs associated with their promotional materials (such as banners and business cards) for the show. I will then chat with them individually to iron out their specific goals for Flame Con and together, we will come up with a merchandise plan that I will help them execute by showing them how to prep their files, connecting them with vendors, establishing an ordering schedule, etc. I will also provide assistance with table display and pricing, and I’ll be available for any additional guidance along the way. At the show, the two selected applicants will share a table located right next to mine that will give them both immediate access to myself as well as Andrea throughout the weekend.
- Two applicants will be selected for the mentorship. (Must already be accepted for a half table at Flame Con 2019)
- Applications will be open from March 1, 2019 – March 20, 2019
- Selected applicants will be notified on March 25, 2019
- Mentorship program will run from April – August leading up to Flame Con
- Jen will pay for the full table + promo materials
- Jen will help help you create a merchandise plan for the show, along with:
- Banners/promotional materials
- Connecting with vendors
- Planning, production, file preparation
- Table Display
- Have access to Jen and Andrea leading up to Flame Con for any additional questions
- Must be accepted for a half-table at Flame Con 2019!
- This mentorship is intended for visual artists only.